Beveling scuppered inwales

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Danzant

Beveling scuppered inwales

Post by Danzant »

Anyone got any tips on beveling the inwale? If I cut my scuppers on the inwale and then try and bevel it to match the tumblehome, won't some of the scuppers be different sizes if the bevel changes as I get toward the bow and stern. Or is this overthinking?
wb9tpg

Re: Beveling scuppered inwales

Post by wb9tpg »

I did not try to bevel the gunwales on my ranger and it looks good that way
Danzant

Post by Danzant »

Thanks. I'd rather not bevel the inwales. Right now I'm still sanding the inside and will hopefully be glassing the inside this weekend. My prospector may not have that much tumblehome anyway, though it does seem to at this point after takimg it off of forms and turning it upright. I guess I need to get it right before glassing.
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Just make sure you glass the inside before you install the gunwales :wink
pwstndrf

Post by pwstndrf »

Danzant wrote:Thanks. I'd rather not bevel the inwales. Right now I'm still sanding the inside and will hopefully be glassing the inside this weekend. My prospector may not have that much tumblehome anyway, though it does seem to at this point after takimg it off of forms and turning it upright. I guess I need to get it right before glassing.
After you get the glassing finished on the inside of the canoe, dry fit the Inwale to the inside and see what it looks like. Your eye will be the final judge. Also, you'll need a bunch of clamps to do this but you'll need them anyway to epoxy it in plasce.
If you need to tweak it on the ends you can do it with a block plane. You can't just run it through the table saw or planer as it bends inward and upward toward the Stem the angle will change.
G'Luck
phil w.