southern Ontario source for cherry gunwale stock

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
DaveA

southern Ontario source for cherry gunwale stock

Post by DaveA »

I was planning on getting some Cherry stock for the gunwales this week, but Exotic Woods is out of it.
Any recommendations for another source in southern or south western Ontario? I would prefer long boards to avoid having to do scarf joints.

Thanks
Dave
Glen Smith

Re: southern Ontario source for cherry gunwale stock

Post by Glen Smith »

I suggest you contact Joan at Bear Mountain Boats. She might know someone who has what you want.
info@bearmountainboats.com
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Noah's has it listed in their catalogue, but they are often out of it. You can also try Century Mill Lumber in Stoufville and Royal Wood shop in Aurora. I've seen long lengths of clear cheery their on occasion. Both will be board though, not pre-milled. However you might get lucky and find a 3-4 inch board so you could rip two sets of gunwales.

Moonman.
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

If you can't find a source in Southern Ontario, Armstrong Mill Works in Highland, MI has tons of it with most in 5/4 and in any length. They are located NW of Detroit or W of Pontiac, MI and deal in Cash or Check only.

Good Luck :wink
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
KenC

Post by KenC »

You could try Kootur Lumber, southwest of Grimsby. Call them first, or email. They're in the middle of nowhere, and there's not always someone there. I have gotten various rough-cut hardwoods there (cherry, maple, red oak, white oak), but never in gunwale-lengths. Even got some decent White Cedar there once, but that was a fluke.

You might also try Aitchison Lumber in Hamilton. I haven't bought hardwoods there, but thats where I got my 20' lengths of clear WRC. They have hardwoods (not sure if dressed or rough), though again not necessarily in gunwale-lengths.

If you call ahead to one of the mini-mills, they might have a suitable-length log they haven't milled yet, and you might be able to put in a special request. In trying to recall Kootur's details, I came across Dupuis Sawmill, in Grimsby. They advertize capability to mill up to 21' lengths, so maybe they have something in inventory.

There is another small outfit that I can't remember the name of ... a hobbyist near Cambridge who operates a mini-mill with his son on weekends. All air-dried stock. I got some nice slabs of quartersawn white oak from him. He won't have 20' lengths, but his prices are good. I'll come back to post his contact info if I can come up with it. Its been awhile.
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

The host of this site sells the gunwale stock. Might appear a little more than raw boards, but with the wastage you will have in purchasing a full board, pre-cut is not that much more.