Epoxy/Fiberglass thickness

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wpeluso

Epoxy/Fiberglass thickness

Post by wpeluso »

I'm building a 17' Endeavor kayak and am wondering if I have enough fiberglass/epoxy thickness on the hull. Has anyone ever measured this thickness, or have any information on the approximate thickness?
Patricks Dad

Re: Epoxy/Fiberglass thickness

Post by Patricks Dad »

If you've buried the weave deep enough so you won't hit the glass when you sand, it's thick enough.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Denis

Post by Denis »

As told when cloth is buried it is thick enough. The final result is very thin, not much thicker than the cardboard on a cereal box. Just be sure to brush on a thick coating as the third coat being sure to brush it out at////// then \\\\\\\ before a final horizontal brushing.or if using a roller perhaps two final coats. the weave of the cloth should be buried so the final coat feels smooth. You may feel some texture at the bow and stern where the sides fall away.

Denis
wpeluso

Post by wpeluso »

Thanks for the input. It was very helpful.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I'll echo what Pat's Dad and Denis said, and I'll add this ... I have no idea what its actual thickness is, but on my Endeavour, I used a single layer of 6oz glass over most of the hull, with a second layer of 6oz over the "football", and a triple-layer fold/wrap over the stems. This combination is TOUGH. I regularly paddle in Georgian Bay, where there are a lot of rocks lurking just below the surface. In certain conditions, it can be difficult to see where these are, and I have grounded onto them, or scraped across them, many times. The hull now has some character, but none of the rocks ever got through the glass into the wood.

I also once misjudged the balance point while bringing the kayak down out of its home in the rafters of my garage, and dropped one end of it. It fell about 4 feet, bounced off the corner of my cast-iron jointer, and then fell another 4 feet to the concrete floor. I was afraid to look at the damage, so went into the house for a while, and when I came back out to take a look, I could find no marks on it at all. These things are far tougher than an ordinary fiberglass kayak. I would consider going a little lighter with the glass next time.

You will enjoy the Endeavour when it is finished. Its a nice boat. Enjoy what remains of the build.