angle cut on planks near bottom stem?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
carles

angle cut on planks near bottom stem?

Post by carles »

Hello, I can't figure out the angle to cut planks on the stems, I'm four planks down from bottom of stem. I know you can't keep cutting at a 90 degree because you would take out to much wood, and would make it to wide for mortise cut for the outer stem. Thanks Carl
Patricks Dad

Re: angle cut on planks near bottom stem?

Post by Patricks Dad »

Not quite sure I understand your question but I just use a japanese saw to cut mine at a shallow angle. I also often use a small circular saw blade on my dremel to cut them.

As you note, it is important to ensure that you are leaving enough wood to extend into the region that will be cut out for the stem mortise.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Denis

Post by Denis »

If you are 4 planks down from the stern stem (freedom 17) you can likely add a few more planks on both sides then start filling in one side only till the centre line is covered completely. Be sure to number your strips as you fill in one side to ensure you will have a matching strip for the other side. If you are building something else just stop where you are uncomfortable going any further and fill in one side

Then mark out and cut out your centre line on the hull being as straight up and down (vertical) as you can.
You will be doing this over the top of the inner stem (following the centre line you drew on the inner stems) as well as along the rest of the hull.

I find it useful to rough out a centre line about at least a half inch beyond the true centre and remove the excess before working on the final centre line.

We are all assuming you are building from a copy of Canoecraft or Ted's shop notes and all the information you need is in there.

Denis
Denis

Post by Denis »

I found an image which might be of some assistance to you if you are still having a problem understanding when to stop planking on both sides and filling in on side only.

As you can see the inner stem is not fully covered yet by planking on one half and the centre line has been cut in preparation for filling in the rest of the open area.

Denis

carles

Post by carles »

Thanks Denis, The pictures helped alot
wb9tpg

Post by wb9tpg »

Here is another pic for you