Layup schedule for kevlar canoe?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Canoe_builder

Layup schedule for kevlar canoe?

Post by Canoe_builder »

Just looking for thoughts on layup for a kevlar canoe. I plan to build a freedom 17 this winter. Looking for advice for what we should use. I would like to build a moderately durable canoe, as light as possible. It will generally be used on lakes for canoeing for camping trips, (ie. Algonquin park for those in the area...) Don't expect it to ever see white water, but still want it strong enough to with stand submurged rocks or dead heads and such that we are sure to eventually contact, and just the usual abuse a canoe will encounter. I don't want something so light that it cant be partially run ashore before exiting, but don't expect it to be bomb proof either. Just everyday practical, as light as possible, for the long portages.

What would be a good lay up schedule? Would 2, 5 oz layers of kevlar and 1 of 4oz layer of S-Glass be strong enough?? Ballpark, what kind of weight would the finished canoe be? Has anyone built 100% kevlar? How does it hold up to scratches etc?, and how much weight savings would there be compared to having the final layer of s-glass?

Totally new to this so I'm still trying to learn what is required, and what kind of outcome I can expect. I hope that we can build a reasonably sturdy canoe that is 40lbs, or even better, a little less.... but that might be a little optimistic.

Thanks for the input!
Stencil

Re: Layup schedule for kevlar canoe?

Post by Stencil »

This forum is more about wood-strip construction. You might try posting on this site.http://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=121
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

One other place you might look:

http://www.canoecountry.com/bulletinboard/

do a search for Kevlar stripper. there are several posts. I did notice one discussing layup.

let us know how it goes...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Canoe_builder

Post by Canoe_builder »

Thanks,

I'll give those a try.