Think I built my last canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
wb9tpg

Think I built my last canoe

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm sorry to say I think my canoe building days are over and not by my choice. I'd been having pain in my right wrist for a while and it got worse recently. The regular doc has been treating it as a sprain for a long time and I recently went to a hand expert. I thought at worst was Carpal Tunnel but it turns out I have something rare called Kienbocks disease which is definitely worse and the Lunate bone is "dead". I'm scheduled for surgery next month to shorten the Capitate bone to relieve the pressure on the Lunate which will hopefully reduce the pain. It will never be normal again. So sadly, it looks like my canoe builds are over but I wanted to thank everyone for helping me complete the Ranger. We'll cherish it always and it was a labor of love building it.

I need to figure a system for use to load it on top the car easier as I'll only have one useful hand to help with (and the wife). I have the Yakima roof racks and I do have a hitch. Maybe something to go in the hitch to hold one end while I lift and walk the other end around. Not sure how to do that yet.

It also looks like my motorcycle days are probably done too. It was pretty painful working the throttle when I rode it today. Hopefully the surgery will help and if you're a praying person I could use them.
Glen Smith

Re: Think I built my last canoe

Post by Glen Smith »

Gary, I hope it works out well. I know it really stinks when you have to stop doing something you love.
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

I am sorry to hear this. Your story is hitting close to home (but not to the extent of your injuries). I have had to deal with shoulder problems for years and at 64 I am finally figuring out that I better change the ways I do things.

I am sure you will figure out how to get that Ranger on the water. You may also have to work on a new paddle technique. But if there is a will there is a way......... canoes have a great way to heal the mind and body.

Good luck in the days ahead
fsilva15

Post by fsilva15 »

Gary,

I'm new to this, building my first canoe and have only posted one question on the forum. However the camaraderie here on the forum is amazing so I want to say the best of luck to you. My prayers are with you. I also love motorcycles, have an old '75 Norton I rebuilt. I don't live near you but perhaps someone who loves what you love can help; three hands and all your experience and knowledge could work wonders.

Fred
Mihun09

Post by Mihun09 »

Cabela's sells just the thing, it mounts on a hitch platform and allows one person to load a canoe in just the way you describe. I bought one for my wood/canvas canoe due to it's weight and my being weak, primarily for my solo tripping. It is heavy itself, steel, so should last awhile, a little wobbly but does the trick.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID= ... 226&ID=925