River canoe : wich model ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Fredz

River canoe : wich model ?

Post by Fredz »

Hello,

I want to built woodsrtip canoe that would be use for river purpose. I was looking for a 15 footer and think that the Ranger would be a good choice. I was thinking of reinforcing the bottom for the usual rocks ...

Any suggestion ?
Whitworks

Re: River canoe : wich model ?

Post by Whitworks »

An extra layer of glass below the water line (extra weight) and/or a layer of epoxy/graphite. A keel.

Mark.
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

The Ranger is a good choice. Do not install a keel, it would reduce maneuverability.
Double the glass on the below water area both inside and outside.
Fredz

Post by Fredz »

Thank you.

Should I reinforce with 6oz or 4 oz clothes ?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I would go with 6 oz.
sedges

more info needed

Post by sedges »

Is this to be used solo, tandem, what are the expected weights of the paddlers, will it be used for tripping, how much weight for gear?

How much boat you have submerged(draft) makes a big difference on rivers. Water depths change often and many times the river gets wide, but shallow. A bigger canoe is going to float your expected load in shallower situations better than a smaller one. This would keep you from getting out and wading, but also minimizes the contact with the bottom that your canoe has to endure.

If you are planning to use this canoe for any tandem paddling I would suggest the Prospector unless you are very lightweight folks or planning solo only.
Fredz

Post by Fredz »

Thanks for the answers.

Here is some info on the intended use of the canoe I want to built : The canoe will be used for river purpose, sometime in swift water. Just for 1 day trip with 2 paddlers. I already have my Freedom 17 for long trip on lakes.

Reading all the description in Canoecraft, I came to the conclusion that maybe the Huron Cruiser would be a better choice than the Ranger ... any tought on that ?