Mounting yoke under gunnels

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
DanSadler

Mounting yoke under gunnels

Post by DanSadler »

I'm installing the inwales on my redbird and have noticed that with the tumblehome, the yoke doesn't mount flat to the bottom. I suppose creating a flat spot on the bottom of the inwales is possible. I just cant find anything about it in Canoecraft and haven't seen anything about it on the forum. Any advice appreciated.
Patricks Dad

Re: Mounting yoke under gunnels

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm pretty sure that instead of creating a flat spot on the underside of the inwales, I milled the top of the yoke a bit to match the angle of the inwale.

I think Canoecraft doesn't discuss this topic is because it (instead) suggests that you taper/bevel the hull-side surface of the inwale (and outwale) to allow the gunwales to produce a top and bottom surface which is parallel to the water (making way for a good fit between the yoke and the inwale without any modification to the yoke or underside of the inwale). If you follow that guidance, you don't have the problem you're discussing with this thread. In my case, I didn't bevel the gunwales so the top surface of the gunwales are perpendicular to the sheer rather than parallel to the water. It sounds like you skipped the same step (or thinking of skipping the same step).

Hope this is clear.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Randy is correct, Ted recommends bevelling the gunwales on the hull contacting surfaces so they are parallel to the water.
Rather than creat a flat spot, which would diminish the thickness and weaken the structure, I suggest gluing wedges so you have the correct mounting surface for the yoke.
DanSadler

Post by DanSadler »

Thanks for the info. It seems like beveling the hull side of the inwale would be a real challenge as there isn't any tumble home at the ends, so it would be a constantly changing angle, like shaping stems. Either way, my inwales are machined and one is installed. Although a shallower angle, the seat posts will also have to be cut at an angle, so as to be plumb. I guess this was kind of an unexpected curve, so I'm just looking for any insight or pointers. Thanks.
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Picture shows what I did to my center thwart/yoke to meet the gunwale. The bevel on the thwart was not that difficult to do and I am satisfied

I also beveled my seat hangers to be plumb and square with the frame of the seat. The picture does not show the angle on the hanger but you can see that the hanger (where it meets the frame) stands out from the hull. I figure this will be a great spot to stow my fishing pole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.