Ventilating a small shop in winter: Any Tricks?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
HighPlainsDrifter

Ventilating a small shop in winter: Any Tricks?

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Varnish work stands before me as well as winter. My shop is small (roughly 15’ wide, 20’long and with 8’ ceilings). Varnish work in a “well ventilated” space is hard to do when the beast of winter lies in wait outside my door.

Yesterday I put the first coat of varnish on the inside hull and trim of my Ranger. My shop was comfortable at 68 F. Outside the temperature was about 20 F and the north wind (that good old Canadian air) howled and carried snow around. It was no day for opening shop windows for ventilation.

I varnished wearing a 3M respirator (with 60923 cartridges). The respirator did the trick because I never smelled a trace of varnish …… until I foolishly lifted the mask in the closed space of my shop! Wow, talk about powerful vapors……. it is a wonder that I never smelled the stuff and I am starting to think that it is a wonder that I didn’t blow the place up.

Today, I find my voice raspy (like a heavy smoker) and I am thinking that I don’t want to do that again. So, here is the problem. How do I ventilate my small shop in sub-freezing temperatures (without going broke paying my utility bill)…… any tricks out there ???
Rod Tait

Re: Ventilating a small shop in winter: Any Tricks?

Post by Rod Tait »

Is the shop free standing or attached to the house. I heat my free standing shop as well and wear my respirator any time there are chemical smells, but I just finish up, step outside and take the mask off. By morning there is still a hint of varnish smell, but that quickly dissipates with a crack in the door. If you are going to wet sand, you will likely have to open up the door to take the project outside for a wet sanding anyways.

I dont' think the vapours would be strong enough to spontaneously combust, unless you have an open flame heater.
HighPlainsDrifter

Thanks Rod
My shop is attached to the house as an extension to the garage. I heat the space with "cove heaters" (radiant heat).

I am working on a low tech (and cheap) solution to move just a bit of air through the shop. I am planning on mounting a cheap (70 cfm) bathroom fan to a piece of plywood that will fit in one of my "slider windows". On the opposite wall, I will open the window a crack and have the air pass through a furnace filter. I think I can throttle the flow to help keep the air in the room somewhat changed and not freeze and not raise a dust storm.
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

What brand of varnish are you using? I have found that certain ones give off more VOC's than others even with all the new regs.
HighPlainsDrifter

Rod, I never gave the VOC's a thought. I have used Pettit in the past. I liked the way it went down and stuck with what I was familiar with....... but in other years I did my varnish work with windows open. Too late now to change.

Pettit Z-Spar Flagship 2015 ( VOC of 410 g/l)

by comparison

Epifanes Clear Gloss (VOC of 382g/l)
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I use Captains. I did a boat for a customer once and they provided the varnish. I'm pretty sure it was Flagship and I found it to have a very strong smell compared to Captains even though they contain the same VOC of 410, so I guess different formula.