Seat height

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chipper1959

Seat height

Post by Chipper1959 »

My Hiawatha is almost done !...(6 months behind schedule). I'm putting the last coats of Epifanes on the outside and will be installing the seats next week...then I'm done.

I was planning on hanging the seats from the gunwales, using the traditional method, but was unsure about the height. I've read a few reviews on the Hiawatha that said it was quite "tippy". I was going to install the seats as low as possible in order to keep the center of gravity low but I also hear stories about foot entrapment.....so I'm a bit hesitant to do anything yet.

Any input would be much appreciated.
Patricks Dad

Re: Seat height

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think you have the parameters right. As low as you can but high enough to make you comfortable with not getting a foot caught. Assuming you will be using spacer blocks between the inwale and the seat frame, remember that you can always shorten them to raise the seat but you will need to cut new ones to lower it... Also, make the front edge of the seat a bit lower than the back edge to make for a more comfortable seat.

Savor the last little bit of work and then enjoy the paddling!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com