I think I'm finished !

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chipper1959

I think I'm finished !

Post by Chipper1959 »

Put the 6th coat of Epifanes on last night....real nice gloss. More dust particles than I would have liked but looking at my workshop, you can see why.
I'm wondering if I should attempt buffing it with automotive compound ?...or is there another method ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whitworks

Re: I think I'm finished !

Post by Whitworks »

You are probably the only one who will see those dust particles.

With six coats, you might think about leaving it for a while to really harden up so that a fine abrasive will be less likely to get gummed up.

Maybe here's better expertise out there than mine, but with six coats, after testing on an inconspicuous area, I would give her a preliminary going over with progressively finer wet and and dry abrasive paper, starting with a 400 to 600 (leveling) and finishing with about a 1600 to 2000 grit (a drop of detergent and lots of water helps a lot). Then a rubbing and finishing compound (well buffed).

I didn't do this on my Prospector, but refinishing a teak dining table using this method gave me a really nice lustrous and completely dust free finish.

It probably only works with gloss varnish. If you're using semi gloss on the inside you might have to live with the odd dust particle which, after all, might only be visible to you.

Mark
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I hate to be negative but you are going to eventually get a few scratches on that finish. I would leave it as it is.
Alan

Post by Alan »

Looks great to me! And I'm amazed at how your work area resembles mine - damn that dust, eh?