Finally finished !! Thanks to all.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chipper1959

Finally finished !! Thanks to all.

Post by Chipper1959 »

Installed the seats on my 15' Hiawatha last night and gave the whole thing a good polishing.
I started in Oct 2011 and worked on it mostly during the winter months.
I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out, (at least visually, seeing it hasn't hit the water yet).

My past woodworking creations were mostly tall cabinets and cigar humidors, so building something with no right angles was very different....to say the least.

Looking back, I'd have to say that the part which caused me the most trouble was the installation of the gunnels. I didn't have enough space to work with full-length pieces so I made then with scarf joints. Also, because of the curved design of the Hiawatha's bow/stern, I had to steam them to get them to fit.

I can't help but wonder how we ever got anything done before the days of the internet and forums such as this one ! The wealth of information out there is astounding.
Thanks to all of you for your tips and inspiration.

Now it's time to clean up the basement......(yeah....right).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Glen Smith

Re: Finally finished !! Thanks to all.

Post by Glen Smith »

She's a beauty! Give us a paddling report when the water regains its liquid form.
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Looks great, much feel real good to get it done. :)
-JIM-
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Wonderful job!

You should clean the basement. You will be going down there multiple times a day (alone and with friends) just to gaze at it and you don't want to get dust on your/their clean clothes).

Or you could just move it to the living room so you can look at it all the time and avoid cleaning (that's what I'd try first).

Enjoy!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Nice work!
Snowman back East
alick burt

Post by alick burt »

Hi Chipper
Looks great.If you are like me you will probably find that now you have two addictions!The first is that you will get to like paddling your canoe and the second is that you will miss having a boat to work on and will want to make another.....and another.... and another so maybe you will need to tidy up after all.
Happy paddling.
Alick Burt :tu