Clear Cedar

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Charley

Clear Cedar

Post by Charley »

I will be doing some Google searches but can anyone recommend a good source for clear cedar in the Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois area? My source in Iowa City went out of business. I bookmatch and scarf the joints so 8 to 12 foot lengths work fine for me.
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Moonman

Re: Clear Cedar

Post by Moonman »

With apologies to Starkist, I'm going to say sorry Charley, can't help you with sources there, but if you want to order you can try Newfound Boatworks.

If you are scarfing planks, I have found many clear 8ft cedar planks at Home depot overt the years, mixed in with the knotty stuff, might be worth a look.

Moonman.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi again Charley

Menards would be my first stop.They let you sort. Be sure to restack, as you could wear out your welcome ! The good boards are always at the bottom ! Its been awhile since I've been on the hunt for planks, and beings you're quite aways away. That would be my first choice.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Charley

Post by Charley »

Thanks, Jim! Great tip. Went to Menards this morning and got 7 1x6x10 foot Cedar boards. None are completely clear but I will be able to get lots of strips out of them. Hopefully will be enough with what I already have but if not, I will check them out again. Less money and also saves a 5 or 6 hour (one way) trip to Minneapolis. Love this forum...
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Charley, do you bead and cove your strips ?

I usually look at a plank, and if I can get full length strips out of half the plank, it comes home with me.

When Menards opened a store in Ft Dodge, years ago, I beelined down there, and found three nearly clear 1x12x16 footers. Still have one left.

Good luck !
Jim
Charley

Post by Charley »

Yes I do bead and cove. I'm sure I will be able to get strips from more that 1/2 of each of the boads I bought.
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Charley

How are you cutting your strips ?

I use the skillsaw method. Set the plank on the strongback with spacers(so you don't mark up the strongback), clamp a fence on my Makita skillsaw, and walk the plank as I always say .
I'm always amazed at how accurate the strips turn out.

Jim
Charley

Post by Charley »

I keep saying how understanding my wife has been about this canoe building. When I set up shop, the first thing I bought was a good 10" Rigid (brand) table saw. This forum or John Michne or someone put me onto the Freud Diablo Saw blades. I use a 7 1/4" 40 tooth "Finish/Plywood" blade. For anyone not familiar with them, they are the red ones. I bought the saw and the blade at Home Depot. First blade back in 02 or 03 cost about $13 I think. Very thin kerf, probably no more than a skill saw. Fortunately I have (or can clear out) enough space in my basement for feed and runout tables for any length boards. The setup is like shown in Canoecraft. I use spring finger boards both on the side and on the top of the board. Like you I am amazed at the quality, finish and uniformity of the finish product. I give most of the credit to these amazing Freud blades. In fact, if I don't need to cut anything that requires a larger diameter blade, I usually cut it with the Freud blade. Obviously, once I have used the blade to cut anthing except cedar strips, I save it just for the rougher jobs and buy a new blade just for strips.
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

The Diablo blade is great ! I use the 24 tooth, as it seems to require less power and makes a clean cut. Once I get my saw set up. I leave it and dedicate it to cutting strips only.

So you need to push the plank through your saw , lift the plank and carry it back and push it through again ? I'd guess the 6" width planks makes it easier. I have seen setups that use a power feed , they cut four strips at a time, but we're talking big time investment !
I'd bet if you tried the skillsaw method, you would like it.

In fact ! You could come up here, and I'd let you cut strips for me ! It's SOO much fun ! A Little Tom Saywer thing, sorry !

We really need to hook up !
I'll try and send some pictures.
Jim