Shop Lighting

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Charley

Shop Lighting

Post by Charley »

Not sure if I have made this post before or not. If I did it was at least few years back so probably no harm in posting it again. I built my first Redbird in my basement. I got to the point where I was ready to install the seats and the thwarts and wanted to be able to hoist it on my shoulders and balance it and find the proper location for the center carrying thwart. My wife, who has been very supportive and understanding through two Redbirds so far, agreed to moving the car out of the garage so the canoe construction could move there for a while... To try to make a long story short, I immediately became frustrated and drepressed because of the poor lighting and light levels in my garage. At the same time I wondered if I was just spoiled because I had so much better lighting in my shop. I wondered if I had started out building the canoe with poorer lighting I would have had the same frustration or if I would have not really "known better" and would have just lived with it?? Hopefully, it goes without saying, but for my old eyes, good lighting is essential and it is probably about impossible to have too much lighting in your shop.
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Jim Dodd

Re: Shop Lighting

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Charley

I've been out of the loop for awhile, and decided to drop back in.
As a fellow Iowan I'd like to post a reply !
Lighting is paramont !
In my two car garage, I use one stall,( That's all my wife will let me by with ! Ha !). I have four, 4ft, two bulb florecents. Spaced so the canoe is in the middle. In other words one at each corner. It works with my old eyes ! Opening the garage door helps also. Not to mention cheater glasses !

I'm from Humboldt, about three hours north of you. I cut, beaded and coved strips for a friend last spring, And now he's decided to pursue other things. So I've got a head start on number 20.
I've got mgor garage cleaning to do, as well as cut new forms.

Keep in contact !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Charley

Post by Charley »

Did you really mean # TWENTY?? That is truly awesome! My in-laws live in Badger and we also have family in Okoboji so we are in or near Humboldt several times a year. Can I worm an invite to stop and see you some day?
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

By all means stop by !

I've built 19 myself, and still have 9 1/2 at home.

I've helped others build at least that many around the area.

Jim
Charley

Post by Charley »

I will for sure. Will call first. You are also welcome here (of course) as are any other builders or potential builders. Curious about the 1/2.. One half done or did you wife convince you to make a knick knack shelf??
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

20 is truly impressive! I wonder who the king (or queen) is of the all the forum contributors? If I only had half of your knowledge and more time...
Snowman back East
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Charley

The 1/2 is a long story, but the short of it is, I saved the biggest piece.

Snowman My knowledge is a combination of collecting ideas from books, other builders, and once in awhile something will slap me up along side my head.

I don't know who is the King or Queen ? I'm just a slave to building. If only I had more time and a younger body !

Jim