Water based varnish

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Michne

Water based varnish

Post by John Michne »

We are building a student canoe in the club shop. The shop is a corner of a much larger building where precision manufacturing is done. We are getting close to the varnish stage, and I am afraid the landlord might object to the VOC fumes from the oil-based varnish I normally use for boats. A water based version would be just the ticket, but has anyone had any experience with water based varnish? One of the students has used Zar Exterior Water Based Polyurethane with good results.

By the way, I'll post pictures when the project is done.

Thanks,
John Michne
Rick in Pender Harbour

Re: Water based varnish

Post by Rick in Pender Harbour »

I've used system three's WR-LPU in both gloss and satin on several boats. I've only used it over epoxy and glass, but it goes on with a foam roller, and I can put 5 coats on in a day(recoat every 2 hours) in the basement of my house. The only odor is the slightest hint of alcohol in the cross-linker, and it gives a super hard, glossy finish. I am very careful about wiping down with alcohol before the first coat, and keeping the temperature friendly, but have never had a failure.
don's wherry 034.jpg
rgds

Rick
oysterbayboats.ca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oysterbayboats.ca
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

I was hoping to hear more people with experience in the water based products. I have always been sceptical, but encouraged by Rick's experience the System Three WR-LPU. I checked with Systems Three and they tell me the closest dealer to Ottawa is Calgary (can also buy it online). I find it strange that they do not sell any in Ontario or Quebec (according to Systems Three), given some of the recent eco-laws which made it difficult to obtain some high VOC products.
(Edit: I see that Noah's carries it)

Has anyone else used System Three WR-LPU?

John - I would like to hear what you have decided for your student build and the results (when you get there).

Snowman
Snowman back East
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Snowman -
I ordered the WR-LPU from Jamestown Distributors. It should be here late this week or early next. I'll post the results when the job is done.

John
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Hey Snowman,

I've bought system 3 products at both Noahs and Plastic World in Toronto....

Moonman.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

John,

I did not see any post with your results. How did it turn out? How was it to work with?

I was looking at picking some up at Noah`s this weekend on our way through, until I saw the price ($66/quart). A bit pricey to start doing experiments with (I thought I would try some on a few paddles that I am re-finishing). I find most polyurethanes expensive - make me want to stick with my known products (I use mostly Epifanes - from the recommendation of the master - Glen).

I would still like to hear how you made out (John). Thanks.

Snowman
Snowman back East
John Michne

Post by John Michne »

Snowman -

We bought a quart each of the gloss and matte finish. We used the matte on the inside, and it turned out real nice. This is in contrast to the outside, where we used the gloss. We used the included cross linker for both. It seems that the gloss dries too fast to allow the varnish to flow out smooth. It might work better if it was sprayed, but I don't know if it is compatible with spraying. I don't have the containers here, so I can't tell if it is sprayable, let alone what the brand name was. Sorry I can't be of more help - bottom line is the matte or semi-gloss works just fine; I would stay away from the gloss.

- John
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

John

Thanks for the update.
Snowman back East