varnishing in the scuppers

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
backpaddler

varnishing in the scuppers

Post by backpaddler »

Anybody have any tips for varnishing inside those little scupper slots, or it this typically done bofore the inwales are installed? It just seems to me that dragging a brush over the gunwale after it is installed is just asking for drips and runs in the scuppers?

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Glen Smith

Re: varnishing in the scuppers

Post by Glen Smith »

I used pipe cleaners and had to continuously wipe up the run out but it worked out ok.
Charley

Post by Charley »

I used Q-tips but it took several and they were continuously coming apart. Pipe cleaners definitely sound like a better idea. It seems to me this is 99% done for protection and maybe 1% for appearance. Not much anyone can see there but protection is the key.
Charley Montgomery
Ottumwa, Iowa
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I forgot to mention that I placed a strip of 2" wide masking tape along the inner hull just below the inwale so I could wipe off excess varnish before it got onto the hull itself.
David James

Post by David James »

I take a foam brush and trim it down with a sharp razor blade to fit the scupper's width and length. Works for me. Gotta keep after the drips though..

Dave
"If given six hours to chop down a tree, spend the first four sharpening your ax." - Abraham Lincoln
backpaddler

Post by backpaddler »

Thanks for the advice. I do like the pipecleaner idea, I think I'll try that first.

Thanks again
Bruce
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

suggestion. Fold the pipe cleaner in half. You get a bit of a larger "brush"
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com