Where to get plastic cane?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TX_yakker

Where to get plastic cane?

Post by TX_yakker »

I hate to have my first post be a question, but i'm stuck! I've browsed through every page on this forum, twice. So much good information here!! I'm in the process of a build and I have my seats ready to cane. I have the 1/4" holes, so per many pages I've seen I need 3.0mm cane. As so many have recommended, I went over to HH Perkins site but all I'm seeing in the plastic cane is 4.0mm. I did find some 3.5mm on another site.

Having never done this before, is 4.0 too large for the 1/4" hole size? I have a trapezoid seat pattern I'm using. If 4.0 would work fine, then I'll order that. Just not sure if I should keep searching for some 3.0 or try the 3.5. I had some 3.0 on order from a place, but after not receiving anything or hearing any word as to the status of my order i called, and it turns out the seller hasnt been able to get any 3.0mm plastic cane in quite a while. What do you guys think?

Glen Smith

Re: Where to get plastic cane?

Post by Glen Smith »

TX_yakker

Post by TX_yakker »

Perfect, thank you! I saw this link in another post and when i clicked on it, it gave me the 404 error.
TX_yakker

Post by TX_yakker »

So the stuff showed up in the mail today, wooohoo! Having never laid eyes on real cane vs plastic cane, this stuff sure looks like "natural" even though on the order form is says plastic cane. Is that standard? I really had zero ideas on what it was supposed to look like, nor do i have any background to compare it to so......yea.