How bad is the glare?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TX_yakker

How bad is the glare?

Post by TX_yakker »

Howdy folks!
I'm at the stage of prepping/sanding the inside of the hull to start varnishing. I have Epifanes high gloss, and everything came out fine with my seats but I did notice they SHINE in the sun! Took one outside after I finished caning it just to see if I had any sneaky runs or anything I may have missed and man, that high gloss is no joke :) I was given the recommendation to use the high gloss on the inside, and then for the last coat to use semi gloss or matte finish.

Since there are many boats out there floating around, how many of you just went with the high gloss on the inside and more importantly.......................drumroll please..................how bad is the glare from the sunlight gleaming on your masterpiece while paddling? Obviously if its sunny out you're rocking the :cool sunglasses anyway, but I'm trying to decide on whether to buy some semi gloss for that last coat or to just deal with the shine.

Reading through the forums I've seen a little of both, but havent found any reports of finished boats and how bad the glare can be on a high gloss interior of the boat. Thanks in advance!!
Jeff in Farmington, MI

Re: How bad is the glare?

Post by Jeff in Farmington, MI »

Hello Yakker!
The Epifanes high gloss is an excellent varnish ... but it is not cheap. Knowing that the interior of the hull is going to get scuffed and scratched during use anyway, I would not purchase the matte finish varnish. After a while, the interior will take on a matte finish anyway through use. I would just finish the interior to the best of your ability, then take some wonderful gleaming photos to post here on the forum!

- Jeff
sedges

non-skid option

Post by sedges »

I know that glare was the issue addressed here, but the fact that vanished canoe floor gets mighty slippery when wet could be addressed at the same time. I use a product called slip-no-more which I believe is no longer manufactured. I'm sure there is a similar product at your local paint store or System Three has a non-skid product, too. It is a fine silica or aluminum oxide powder added to varnish or paint to create a textured surface.

I mask off the bottom of the canoe, maybe a little up the sides and apply it with and cheap throw-away brush. It only takes a tablespoon in a half pint to do the job. It is still clear and non-skid and non-glare as well. You have to keep stirring up the mixture as you work, as it settles out rather fast. It also adds to the abrasion resistance of the bottom.

We use our canoes hard on wilderness trips dragging and sliding heavy packs around in the canoe and getting in with sandy or muddy feet at portages and the non-skid surface really holds up well. The only draw-back I have found is when it comes time for refinishing. The surface dulls sandpaper almost immediately. I have taken to using a wire wheel to clean it up good and recoat it.