Student-built canoe

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
John Michne

Student-built canoe

Post by John Michne »

A little over a year ago I was asked by my club, the Northeastern Woodworkers Association (NWA), to teach another course in building a strip-built canoe. The previous course in '06 was held in my home shop - this one would be taught at the NWA Education Center shop, located near Albany, NY. The purpose of the center is education and public service.

The only space available at the center sufficient to build a canoe was in the shop's large kitchen, which we shared with the wood carvers' special interest group. The very large dream shop has just about any tool a woodworker would ever need or want. The group consisted of seven students, in addition to myself. Everyone was a retiree.

We got a partial kit from The Newfound Woodworks consisting of the bead and coved strips, fiberglass, epoxy, and varnish. I did teach making bead and cove strips as part of the course, and we make b/c strips for the accent stripes. All of the other parts of the canoe were made by the students in the center's shop. The canoe is a 16-foot Bob's Special, stripped stapless in red and white cedar with accents of Peruvian walnut. The seats and gunwales are ash, and the seat hangers and yoke are curly maple.

The decks were overlaid with a field of African bubinga veneer containing pictures done in marquetry. The forward deck is a picture of an American Indian as seen on the old buffalo nickel. The aft deck is a bald eagle. Each picture is made up of over 125 individual tiny pieces of various colored and species of thin wood veneer.

Additional detailed pictures can be seen at http://s15.photobucket.com/user/jmichne ... WA%20Canoe. There are too many construction pictures to post here, but I will upload them to Photobucket if anyone is interested.

Patricks Dad

Re: Student-built canoe

Post by Patricks Dad »

Beautiful work!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Re: Student-built canoe

Post by Jim Dodd »

AWESOME art work !

Jim