Stem Material Selection

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Stem Material Selection

Post by Cruiser »

Getting close to starting my build now, wood is ordered, plans are ordered (Freedom Solo) and have started researching the "how" I will execute the various steps. (yes, I am one one of those people who plans out almost the entire job, sometimes several times, before I actually start work).

I am currently figuring out the stems and although it seems that ash is the mainstay material, there are several posts suggesting alternative woods, that make sense to me. Since I will be portaging the canoe, I am a bit weight conscious, so for the inner stems, WRC makes a lot of sense, since there is a lot of shaping/wood removal, it is the same material as the strips, is significantly lighter, is easy to work and since I am cutting my own strips, I will have that readily available.

The main picks for outer stems seem to be ash or cherry, they seem to be about the same density, so I am wondering on the merits of choosing either? I guess I could sneak another question in here on the same topic, I plan on using the uni-wale approach for gunwales and ash + cherry pop up again ... there appears to be little difference in density, so am curious of the merits of choosing either (strength, workability?). The lumber yard sells both, so supply (cherry is at a premium) isn't an issue.
Patricks Dad

Re: Stem Material Selection

Post by Patricks Dad »

WRC for inner stems works great. I have used cherry for all of my outer stems as well as all my gunwales and seats. Ash will work as well (and is probably the more "traditional" choice). Ash has some history of turning black with a fungus but can be avoided if well sealed and maintained. Personally I like the look of cherry better.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
BearLeeAlive

Re: Stem Material Selection

Post by BearLeeAlive »

Yeah, what Randy said. Though ash is a bit better material for bending (or so I have been told by others), In all the boats I have seen, I like the colour of the cherry with the WRC strips better, but that is just a personal choice.
-JIM-