Mold Form Material

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Mold Form Material

Post by Cruiser »

My wife figured it would take me a month to clear out the garage to reclaim my workshop, I am a bit motivated and had a week off, the recovery is pretty much complete.

My neighbor has a friend who has completed 8 canoes ( his 9th is almost completely stripped) and I had a chance to go over and see first hand and pick his brain, things are so much clearer when you can see. He was using 1/2" ply for his forms/mold and I intend on using 3/4" particle board. I did this largely because I find it is easier to remove material from PB and I thought I could get closer to my plans with that material. I just didn't trust 1/2" PB would have enough strength to trust. Once shaped, I plan on varnishing the edges and down a couple of inches around the shape. This is to stabilize the material so any stray water (later on wetting etc.) won't affect the form.

I did some searching last night and couldn't find a definitive answer on whether using 3/4" material on the forms matters (as opposed to 1/2"). I have the material in the shed, but i can return those sheets and get 1/2" ply if it matters, I figure it's totally fixable at this stage, if it matters. I will do the stem pieces with 1/2" ply regardless ( that part I did find last night).
BearLeeAlive

Re: Mold Form Material

Post by BearLeeAlive »

The strips only sit on the edges of the forms closest to the ends, so as long as that side of the forms lines up with the station mark, thickness does not matter.

I used 3/4" MDF (nice to machine to shape), and covered it with aluminum tape to stop the glue from sticking, and it worked great, releasing with no problem when removed.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

My preference is 1/2" particle board.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

So ... basically, if I build a second boat, 1/2" forms, but since I have the 3/4" now, it doesn't matter. I was sort of hoping it wasn't a big deal , because returning what I have and getting 1/2" material is a pain.

and thanks for such fast replies.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

For a one time build use what ever you want, but if you plan to build again, and maybe store the forms, I'd go with the 3/4" ply.

Nearly all my forms are cut from 3/4" ply.

My reasoning is that the thicker ply will not warp as much. That could be debated.

Anyone local that has built 8 canoes, is a Super Asset !!! Learn from him !!!

Anyone that has taken the time to learn to build one strip canoe and quits, must have great will power ! I have no will power !!!

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Jim,

I am very fortunate with having access to my neighbours friend, he is a super nice guy, offered to help, answer any questions and come over and help with the glassing step ( that part still has me terrified). So it's like having a safety net for my first build, as well as his experience with local suppliers ...

I have my second boat more or less picked, so that one will be ply molds, but I will keep these as well, in case I want to make a second one. Now that my workspace is clear, I am planning on the first cutting operations, I have the cedar, basswood and black walnut for strips, but forgot to get some cherry for the stems, so that is one of mt errands for the day.

Thanks again for the input.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I clearly remember Glassing my first stripper !!! I was terrified !!!

Two guys with very little experience offered to help.
I accepted and all turned out well.

After that it was like riding a bike.

Definitely seek help with the first, and you'll be fine !!!

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!