Basic question - How do you determine grain direction

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Basic question - How do you determine grain direction

Post by Cruiser »

Now that I am in the middle of making a lot of sawdust (cutting strips), I am making sure to track and order the strips by board. I am also trying to mark the grain direction, so that I can organize the strips and not worry about having grains going both ways.

I have been running my fingers down the strips, trying to feel the grain lift, but I am not entirely sure that is reliable. Is there a better way to definitively determine gran direction, that just "feeling" it?
alick burt

Re: Basic question - How do you determine grain direction

Post by alick burt »

Hi Cruiser
To determine the grain direction look at the edge of the plank.You will often see the slope of the grain that will help indicate it.But.....
The grain can change direction in a very small area of a plank so it doesn't always continue the same way all over.
For this reason I wouldn't bother to mark the direction or you would end up marking some planks with arrows all over!
The only time I worry about grain direction is if I do some thicknessing of the planks and when cutting beads and coves but all I do is check the grain direction as i put the pieces through.Also in the scraping and sanding stage I just change the direction of my tools and sharpen up when I feel the grain lift or tear.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Alick :wink
fonz

Post by fonz »

Hello Cruiser. As you are aware numbering your boards is of the up most importance when it comes to strip matching and grain direction when making you cove and beads. Grain direction in western red cedar has little or no effect when cutting your strips. Number all strips at the same end of the board. The first strip you router will tell you the direction of the grain for that boards group on numbers. If you get tear out on the bead change directions. With a sharp planer or spoke shaver you will have no trouble truing the hull. Having said all that if you wish to know the grain direction of the board before you start there are three methods I use. Keep in mind grain direction in soft wood is more difficult to determine than hard woods. First try the feel method that you tried but use a soft tissue or piece of cotton and the smooth direction with the grain will be apparent. If still not sure take a sharp low angle plane to the edge of the board. The easier smoother cut will show you the direction. If this fails look at the grain. You will see were the grain comes to a peak. ( very easy to see in oak ) Some people have different names for this peak. Top off the hill, top of the chapel, end of the arrow etc. What ever you want to call it, it points in the direction of the grain. Good luck
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks for the input, I think I have the grain sorted out now. I just used the "feel" approach and marked the end of every board in the group with marker (grain goes in direction of marked end).

I started with 2x4s so I kept the boards together, and kept the top and bottom strips together as well (2 bundles per 2x4). Finished putting the bead on all the strips this afternoon, although that made me lose the board number (I had each strip identified on the same side), I kept strips together for each each board. I am thinking at this point it is mostly for colour matching and balance, so keeping batches together is what counts (hopefully that is correct).

I am ready to start the coves, but the repeated mention of how fragile the edge of the cove is, has me thinking maybe I need to put a racking system together first, since I have just been tying them together in a bundle, till this point. Anyone with thoughts on this, just jump in, first time out means I am likely over thinking some of this.