Sun damaged canoe restoration..

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Canoe_builder

Sun damaged canoe restoration..

Post by Canoe_builder »

Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to get a nice 16' bluewater kevlar canoe given to me. For the most part it's in decent shape, but still needs some significant work, but no major structural issue.

Its been sitting outside for many years. The outer finish needs to be redone. Right now the colour will rub of easily with a swipe of your hand. There are a few dime size spots and scratches where the fiberglass is exposed, but not many, and some small holes around the stem bands.

On the inside, the fiberglass is quite dry, and like it could start to peel off without a fresh coat of epoxy, in fact on one end there is a piece around the float chamber that has started to lift already.

All the trim will need to be replaced, but that part is easy enough for me. Having no experience as a builder, I'm looking for advice on what the proper materials and techiniques...

Pictures to illustrate.....

Thanks!
upload.jpg
upload2.jpg
upload3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Dodd

Re: Sun damaged canoe restoration..

Post by Jim Dodd »

You have a nice project there !
Sanding the outside gel coat with maybe wet sandpaper is where I'd start. You will likely mess up the color, and either need to regel coat, or ad a pigment to the epoxy.

Inside, I've never had this situation, but a good cleaning and some fresh epoxy should work.

Hope others will chime in also !

Good Luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!