Varnish cure time?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TX_yakker

Varnish cure time?

Post by TX_yakker »

I put my last coat of varnish on the outer hull on Sunday and its been sitting in my garage for a week in the wonderful warmth of this Texas summer :) The garage is part of a building so it doesnt get nearly as hot as a stand alone garage often seen in apartment complexes.

I was showing the boat to my parents yesterday and I noticed that I was getting fingerprints in the varnish. I didnt try the scratch test, but I want to re-construct my strongback to hold the boat in a cradle instead of the beams the gunnels are currently sitting on. I feel that if my varnish isnt fully set, that having the boat sit in carpet cradles could mess up the varnish where the boat sits in the cradle.

How long do you normally wait when finishing the last varnish coat on the outer hull before you flip it and start the inside?
fonz

Re: Varnish cure time?

Post by fonz »

Hello, Just a couple of questions first, What brand of varnish are you using. How many coats of varnish and is the only one that is slow drying. And how long did you leave the last coat of epoxy before applying the varnish. Knowing these questions may help with with the question. But I feel you need to give it more time.
TX_yakker

Post by TX_yakker »

Sorry for leaving that out! I am using Epifanes high gloss. I have 3 coats on there right now. I waited about 24 hours between coats when applying. The first coat was no longer tacky, but I tried scratching it with my fingernail near a stem just to check, and it peeled a little so I waited another day I think. Wet sanded that coat with 400grit paper, washed it with water, and then a tack cloth prior to applying my second coat. Thinking back I guess I waited another 2 days after applying the second coat. Got some bugs in there, so when it didnt peel with the scratch test I wet sanded the second coat, same process as before. Third coat went on well. I havent sanded because I was planning to leave it as is. I will be storing this in a garage when not in use so 3 coats I feel will last long enough, for now :)

I guess the fingerprints showing up mean that its not fully cured? I'm fine with waiting longer, but are those fingerprints going to be able to wipe off if I take a cloth to it?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

You missed one of the questions... How long had the last coat of epoxy been on before your first coat of varnish?

I would hesitate to wipe the hull now in it's current state. Finger prints will look much better than smears with bits of cloth in it. Once it fully cures, you should be able to lightly sand the finger prints out and rub it to a glossy finish.

Just give it some more time (when you can no longer smell it when you put your nose next to it, it will be cured).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
TX_yakker

Post by TX_yakker »

The last coat had been on for roughly a week maybe? I cant remember honestly, but it was around a week. I'll keep waiting and do like you said, sanding with a high grit paper later. Do you just take a cloth and rub over the sanded area when you're done, Mr. Miagi style, wax on wax off? :laughing I dont really understand that part, so please explain!