16' Prospector is finally done.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
BellGuy5

16' Prospector is finally done.

Post by BellGuy5 »

About 20 years ago I took a canoe building course through a local builder in Toronto. Ted Moores taught the course and as a group we built two canoes. Two years ago I finally started my prospector canoe. After getting some fantastic cedar boards from a local supplier I cut my strips using a band saw. I used ash for both the inside and outside stems. I painstakingly matched and numbered my strips and glued them using the non staple method. This took longer but was well worth it. During the build I was most worried about the fiberglassing stage. I thought if there was a way to wreck my hard work - this was it. To my amazement, it was incredibly easy. I then used ash for the gunnels and walnut for the decks. I finished the canoe off with cherry seats and a cherry yoke. I also put stem bands on because I really liked the look of them. My son and I took the canoe on a trip into the interior of Algonquin Park and it performed flawlessly. Next will probably be an Endeavour 17.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BellGuy5 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Re: 16' Prospector is finally done.

Post by Cruiser »

Absolutely beautiful canoe .... you did a great job.
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Congratulations - nice work!
Snowman back East
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

It looks fantastic, good job.
-JIM-
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I don't know how I missed this one. It is a real beauty!