Another varnish question, sorry!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
TX_yakker

Another varnish question, sorry!

Post by TX_yakker »

So I put my 3 coats on the outer hull, I'll give pictures this time! Anyway, it didnt come out as perfect as I had hoped. In maybe 7 or 8 spots along the gunnel, inside of an inch, there are streaky spots where the varnish was too thin on my brush so it didnt really coat and make things smooth like the areas around it. Basically, starved areas.

I know when you flip the hull to do the inside, you treat the gunnels as part of the inside and tape along the outer hull, just under the gunnels right? Would it be ok to drop the tape down along the outer hull so that it sits 1" from the gunnel, and that way I could go back over that area with one more coat to cover those missed spots? Or should I just say the heck with it?

Here she is
alick burt

Re: Another varnish question, sorry!

Post by alick burt »

Hi TX Yakker
I recently had similar problems with my varnish and it was solved by the addition of a bit more thinners (no more than 10 percent)
Also know there's more than one way to skin a cat but this how I do my varnishing which avoids having to use masking tape anywhere at this stage.
1.With the seats out make up a pair of battens with pointed ends that can be bolted in place to use as supports when the hull is turned over.Image
2..with the hull in the carpet cradles (upright)and all dusted off ready.coat the inside of the hull first and then the gunwales as far as the deck coamings.
3.Get your assistant to help you lift the hull onto the handy simple supports screwed to the strongback.Image I know the picture quality is poor but you get the idea!
4.coat the decks and gunwales to the end.
5.coat the outside of the hull.
6.Watch over and check over for runs.

There is of course another advantage to this method which is you get to put a whole coat on all the parts in a day!and er no masking tape...
Cheers
Alick
Rod Tait

Re: Another varnish question, sorry!

Post by Rod Tait »

Have you considered rolling on the varnish? I find that by rolling in several directions and then tipping off with a foam brush, I get very good coverage and even coats. Much faster as well.