Flipped !

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Chipper1959

Flipped !

Post by Chipper1959 »

Took my Hiawatha out for the second time, this time in a river with a bit of current. The 1st time I was with my daughter, and while it was "tippy" it was still quite controllable.

This time I took my wife, who is quite a bit taller. The boat so was unstable that even swatting flies was risky. Sure enough, we flipped it...digital camera and all. Almost lost the paddles.

I'm thinking of lowering the seats a few inches to gain stability, and I was told that maybe putting weight in the bottom,(sandbag or something), would help.

Any ideas ? (I don't really feel like adding ugly foam floaters to the sides as the bystanders suggested).
Glen Smith

Re: Flipped !

Post by Glen Smith »

Foam floaters attached to the hull won't prevent capsizing. If you mean the foam floaters on aluminium tubes that support the foam a few feet from the hull, those work well but are ugly as you say. I suggest paddling in a kneeling position until you have become accustomed to the tenderness of the Hiawatha.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

As you suggest, adding weight in the bottom will help.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've lowered seats before, and it works wonders. Its easy.

Years ago, I sat on a seat cushion in a canoe, that was like climbing on a wild bronc.

Another option would be to turn it into a solo boat. I love the Hiawatha in solo configuration !

Beside, it would give you an excuse to build another boat !

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Denis

Post by Denis »

If you are sitting on the seat all the time lowering the seat might help. I prefer to kneel which makes everyting more stable for me but my ankles protest :laughing

Denis