Applying Fiberglass and Epoxy - safety

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Cruiser

Applying Fiberglass and Epoxy - safety

Post by Cruiser »

Planning on glassing the bottom of my canoe in a couple days, both an exhilarating and terrifying thought. I have read materials supplied with my epoxy (east system) and looked through the forums and wonder if it's as easy as it seems.

I plan to work in an open garage, with a fan at the main door, blowing in fresh air. The wife will mix outside the front door and bring the batches to me. It seemed the hardener was the worst thing to be careful of, so it was easy to just move that outside, where there is lots of fresh air.

I hadn't planned on respiration protection, simply because I can't find anything that says it's needed and I plan to be in a well ventilated environment.

Is it that easy?
Jim Dodd

Re: Applying Fiberglass and Epoxy - safety

Post by Jim Dodd »

I just glassed my 20th canoe today.
I, like you did it in an open garage, I mix my own, would never turn down help !
I always wear the 3M mask with two filters. The gray one.
The fan is a good choice.
Having said that many do not use a filter, I always have.

I make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start that first batch. I fill my mix cups with resin ahead of time, so all I have to do is pump in hardener, and mix for two minutes.

I wait at least a week, or more before I sand. Uncured epoxy dust is said to be very hazardous.
Wear good gloves and old clothes.

I will scrape uncured epoxy, but never sand.

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Thanks Jim, was just looking for a second opinion. I was going to glass tomorrow and then sand and glass inside next weekend.

In between, I want to get a start on extending the gambrel roof on my shed outback, to make a canoe loft, so the couple of weeks waiting on epoxy can be put to good use.

Brian
andscott

Post by andscott »

hi, ive just glassed my cottage cruiser on the outside(first canoe build), in a garage with a fan sucking from inside and blowing out the window, I used a decent mask and found it fine to do, however thank god I took ted moores advice when I sanded it down 2 weeks later and covered everywhere over cos boy it gets dusty, I,d certainly recommend a decent mask!!lol good luck cheers andy.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Sanding is my least favorite thing when building a canoe !
Learned along time ago to put wheels on my strongback, so I can roll it outside to sand.

Jim
Chipper1959

Post by Chipper1959 »

I found the West system epoxy quite odorless....I was pleasantly surprised....(and I didn't wear a mask...except when sanding).

What almost killed me was sanding the cedar before applying the F/G and resin. It's worth investing in a good mask for sanding the cedar and/or sanding the cured resin.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

I am using the East System and it seems to be much the same way, low odour (low VOC) and in a well ventilated area, not at all troublesome. I had the wife do the mixing outside, as the hardener is a bit of a different story.

After completing the planking, I made some adapters and put the strongback on wheels, so that all sanding can be done outside. I have done a fair bit of wood working, so i have a good respirator and know how harmful wood dust can be, and took appropriate precautions with sanding the cedar. I just didn't realize just how much dust a whole boat can create and the places it can get into.

This weekend I will sand most of the bottom of the boat (leaving the chine to top on the tumblehom section) and get it realeased from the molds. I plan on getting the inside cleaned up and fiberglassed and while that is curing, I will take the time to finish and cleanup the chine section. This gets the inside fiberglass curing, while I tackle that hard chine area that will require a bit more work to make look pretty.

I have a trip planned to Algonquin on Sept.2cd, so the inside epoxy should be ready to sand when I get back.

thanks to all who posted here
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Well Cruiser, it sounds like a good plan !
It's important to get out on the water, as it dissolves stress, in fact I'm up for a little solo, quiet time myself !

Jim