Hull weight of #20

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Jim Dodd

Hull weight of #20

Post by Jim Dodd »

I just weighed #20 after sanding the inside.
The outside is glassed and sanded, now ready to glass the inside.
I've never weighed a hull at this point, and thought I would.
It weighs in at almost 33lbs. I used 6oz cloth, double layered to the 2" waterline, and she's a 15'11" solo.

It's actually heavier than I expected.

If I can finish her under 50lbs. I'll be happy.

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Re: Hull weight of #20

Post by Patricks Dad »

I think you'll need to be careful to keep it under 50 pounds but I'm sure it's doable.

Here's a chart I put together for the first canoe I built (Redbird - 17').

Image The hull with outer glass (one layer only) weighted 33.7 lbs. It finished at 57 pounds. But we didn't focus too much on weight. We used pretty heavy "everything else" (cherry gunwales, seat frames, big decks).

When I built the Freedom Solo (15.25') it weighed 27.8 pounds at that same point (and finished out at just under 44 pounds (with some focus on weight - uni-wale, small decks, carbon fiber yoke/backrest). You should be able to beat 50 pounds for sure.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Too late to sand anymore off ! Ha!

The extra layer of cloth definitely adds weight, but durability, and stiffness.

Nice chart. I'll have to monitor this build.
I just came in from applying a seal coat on the inside, took 18oz of resin, and that equates to a gallon and a half so far. Seems like alot.

I'll put flotation chambers, ash trim, one seat, one thwart, and small decks.

The gunnels cap the hull, and are scuppered, so that will save a little weight.
Keeping my fingers crossed !

I have a quart of Epifanes, and thinner. This is the first time I've used Epifanes.
How do you like it ?

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've used Epifanes for every boat I've built. I've usually used the traditional high gloss product and sanded between coats 2 and 3 (despite the directions to sand between every coat). Awesome finish.

With the boat I'm restoring now, I'm using Epifanes Woodfinish Gloss - it says you don't have to sand between coats if you apply the next coat within 3 days. After two coats it seems to behave the same as the regular gloss product. It's tricky to see where you've been when you don't sand first. I'm going to use the Woodfinish Matte for the last coat on the seats to add a bit of contrast to the final result. I used the Matte finish as the final coat on the inside of the last canoe I built and I really like it.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Epifanes high gloss is my favourite. I thin it about 10% so it applies without causing drag on the brush but not so thin it runs. I use the Epifanes brushing thinner. I apply it with a 3" foam brush and I use Ted's brushing technique.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I've always used the foam brush.
How do you thin your varnish? Do you measure out what you think you'll need for a coat, and then thin it ?
I've always been a fan of high gloss, as it's supposed to have a higher UV protection.

Thanks Guys ! Gotta love this site !

Jim
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I thin about the same percentage as Glen, I measure out what I need for a coat (or a good guess at it anyway) in a quart plastic container and then add enough thinner to make the math work out (or in the ballpark anyway). If I have a bit left over when I'm done I just pour it back in the can for the next coat.

For this boat I'm varnishing now, it's taken exactly a full quart for each coat... I've always used a bristle brush though. Maybe I should switch to foam...

In the case of gloss over gloss without sanding I've found that putting a small marker (a piece of a post-it note) on each side every foot or so makes it easy to figure out where you are as you work your way down the hull keeping a wet edge. The varnishing is more by feel than anything else when you can't see the change in reflectivity.

Off to the shop for coat #3!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

Jim Dodd wrote: How do you thin your varnish? Do you measure out what you think you'll need for a coat, and then thin it ? Jim
That is how I do it.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Thanks again guys !

The staple rows have always work as a reference for me.
Jim
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Well I'm to the point of the final sand before varnish, so I thought I'd weigh #20.
She comes in at over 55#, and that is without varnish.
Heavy, but with the extra, 6oz layer of cloth to the waterline, flotation chambers, an extra 6oz cloth layer on the inside in the seat area, and ash trim, that's what I have. Image
I'm going to finish with Epifanes. Looking forward to it, as this is my first time with Epifanes.

Jim