Thoughts questions and observations on Sanding.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
alick burt

Thoughts questions and observations on Sanding.

Post by alick burt »

Hi folks
Whilst sanding my latest canoe Peterborough No 8(prior to glassing) I started with my fairing board with 100 grit Image which seems to make a good job of fairing the curves to a good shape.I use it across the grain to begin and then move to a diagonal direction.Running it in line with the grain it seems to produce flats and doesn't remove as much material so I then change to my orbital sander with 120 to remove the scratches.Image
It seems to me that the orbital sander seems to somehow make the surface uneven in places.It's as if some planks may be harder than others so do not sand as easily making the surface uneven.
Is this the case or was it that I could not feel it was uneven until it had been sanded with the finer grit? :thinking
Should I be changing my paper more often could over worn paper be causing it? :thinking I use a fresh half sheet to do a quarter of the hull before changing it.
Or as I suggested above is it just the different hardness of the different planks.
Many Thanks
Alick

Is it being caused by my sander should I just continue with hand sanding only? :thinking