How to get rid of unfinished canoe.

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
torontoalex

How to get rid of unfinished canoe.

Post by torontoalex »

I stopped adding strips to my canoe about 4 years ago and it has been sitting in the garage since. I lost my motivation because the bow and stern shaping is too difficult for me and I rather not do something than screw it up.

I'd like to get rid of the canoe and all the strips. I don't want it to go to waste but if the garbage dump is my best bet so be it. Otherwise what would you guys suggest I do?
Kermit

Re: How to get rid of unfinished canoe.

Post by Kermit »

Perhaps there is a local forum member who might be able to assist you in your shaping.

On my 17'9 Freedom, all my strips have been attaching to the inner stem vertically. I am just getting to the stem curve, and have yet to have any real change to the orientation of the stripes to the stem. I am definitely concerned with the next few steps, but I am figuring that the change in orientation will be quick and painless (I hope).

I also note that this is your first post, I have found it more than helpful to dump ALL my questions on the wise elders of the forum (ie: EVERYONE ELSE). The gang have definitely been able to promptly push me through any issues quickly and calmly.

If those options aren't palatable, then I would recommend perhaps identifying your model, perhaps there is local interest to pick up the pieces, so to speak.

Chris.
torontoalex

Post by torontoalex »

I am (was) building a 17' freedom. I've attempted the stems a few times in the past couple of years (including last week) and I am just not 'feeling' it.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Are you referring to the bending of the stems over the forms? If so, I used Patrick's Dad's method of steam bending and it worked like a charm... I was able to make a simple steam tube with black drain pipe and a sheet of plexi. I might have posted an image here... I will check, otherwise I can upload my setup photo tonight or this weekend.

Chris
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

kermit: he's already started stripping so i think he's referring to the rolling bevel on the inner stems.

instead of a softwood like pine or cedar, mine are laminated tasmanian oak, which whilst not particularly hard, is a hardwood. i didn't think about the grain direction when i laminated either. the upshot of this is that using a spokeshave to do the bevel was a nightmare. i found that i could fairly easily do the bevel one plank at a time using a shinto rasp. it's a lot easier to control the amount of timber removed without needing room for a doing several strips ahead of time. i just sighted down the stem to see what angle that strip wanted and slowly tweaked the stem a little at a time till it was right. i managed ok doing it this way and i'm no wood worker. :crying
viking

Post by viking »

torontoalex, I would hate to see you give up! I managed to build a canoe a few years ago with almost no wood working experience. There is a ton of help available here. I'm sure with their help you could get it figured out.
When it came time to glass it, a member here offered to come to my house and teach me how to do it. He spent a whole Saturday glassing the outside and only wanted lunch in return!
After that I was able to do the inside myself.
Great bunch here who are more than willing to help.
If I can do it anyone can.
Ain't none of us as smart as all of us.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I would encourage you to stick with it too. It's not as hard as it seems at first. Once you are done with it, you will be very proud of yourself. As noted by others, there are lots of people on this forum (and others) who are very giving of their time and advice that would all love to see you succeed.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com