Stretched Rice Lake Skiff?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Moonman

Stretched Rice Lake Skiff?

Post by Moonman »

Has ayone built a stretched Rice Lake Skiff? Thinking maybe by 10% or so to make about 15'.

Thanks,

Moonman.
cff

Re: Stretched Rice Lake Skiff?

Post by cff »

I have built a skiff . I did not stretch it but have thought that if I ever built another one I would make the transom wider. Maybe build with the forms from the center(widest form) all the way to the transom the same. That way it would make a more stable more of a flatter bottomed boat . Kind of like an aluminim. It would be better used with a motor of course. Make sure to post pics if you build one!
Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Hey thanks for the reply CFF.

Speaking of the transom, just from the many pics I've seen it appears to me to be a bit low/shallow. How much freeboard do you have back there with a small motor? I think the centre depth is 16" but it looks to be about 12" back at the transom, so I've been thinking of raising the depth of it maybe 2-3 inches. Also, the other change I might make is to perhaps move the stern seating a bit amidships. Seems that with operator and motor back there the boat looks like its squatting a bit and the change might allow for better trim, especially if lightly loaded. The other benefit would be room to more comfortably operate the motor (I'd be using a 2hp motor 95% of the time). Anyway, any input on those ideas will be greatly apreciated. I'm almost certain I'm be building this boat, ripping strips in the winter and staring to layup strips in spring.

Moonman.
cff

Post by cff »

moonman I run a 6hp and have no trouble with concern to shipping water over the transom. However if I'm reversing into waves/wakes.. that's another story. I went with a bench seat moved inboard to facilitate easier control with an outboard. I'll see if I can find a pic. (boat is in storage..won't be able to get there till next weekend) I ran a 3hp originally and the boat moved ok.. nah I'm kidding. It was slow. If I'm by myself sitting in the center seat I can get the boat to plane.. remember it's not a planing hull.
But with a 2hp .. (provided you don't overload it) it will move along nicely and will be very stable out there in the worst wakes.
cff

Post by cff »

You can just make out the seat in this pic. all set for a bit of fishing .I can't remember how far forward I placed it. I'll see if I can find a better pic of the interior.

Moonman

Post by Moonman »

Thanks ccf, the info is much appreaciated!

Moonman.
cff

Post by cff »

Moonman I found a better photo of the seat arrangement I went with. I hope this helps
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I love that boat, it is a beauty !
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I could fall for that boat !
So many sweet craft to build !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
BearLeeAlive

Post by BearLeeAlive »

I am with you on that, Jim. A great boat to add to the quiver, yet so many good ones to consider.

Oh, how I yearn for retirement, and the time to properly address these projects with. :thinking
-JIM-