Left overs ?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Patricks Dad

Re: Left overs ?

Post by Patricks Dad »

Sorry for the slow response (I've been traveling a bit for the holidays)...

I built a hand grip with a slightly cone-shaped hole in it (to match the diameters of the monocular I was going to use) using layers of wood with progressively smaller holes drilled in them and then laminated them together. I then shaped the grip to match my hand. I then sanded the inside a bit with a small drum sander to level things out. I decided to epoxy the hand grip (rather than oil it) so it would be fully sealed.

Here's a pic with the monocular installed before it was sealed/finished.

Later (after this pic was taken) I decide that the angle of the handle was too severe so I cut it off and re-attached it to the shaft to better suit my use.

The monocular I used is made by Carl Zeiss. It's tiny but has very good optics. It's the only one I could readily find that was both small size and had very good optics. With some time, you could probably just install discrete lenses into a handgrip...

http://www.amazon.com/Carl-Zeiss-Optica ... B0002IOHQI

It's NOT waterproof but I rolled it in a layer of thin plastic (saran wrap) to make it mostly water proof. The monocular is just "friction-fit" into the hand grip and can be pushed/pulled out with a bit of effort.

I find it very handy for looking ahead for a portage of looking at what might be an eagle sitting in a distant tree. It's always "handy".
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Jim Dodd

Re: Left overs ?

Post by Jim Dodd »

That is plain cool Randy !
James Bondish !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!