Lapstrake Canoes: Reference books and getting started

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
HighPlainsDrifter

Lapstrake Canoes: Reference books and getting started

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Hello

I need a project canoe in the shop. I would like some advice and direction on getting started on a lapstrake canoe.

I have built two cedar strips and do not have the desire to do a 3rd by cedar strip. Lapstrake boat hulls have always charmed me and I think a small canoe (like a wee lassie design) built as lapstrake would be sweet. I also have in mind a Grand Daughter who I would dearly love to get hooked on the canoe...... what better gift?

Some canoes come to mind: Wee Lassie (J.H. Rushton) , Rob Roy (J. MacGregor), Wee Rob (I. Oughtred). There is also one out of Duck Trap called a 13' lapstrake canoe with building plans

I would like some book references. I have "Lapstrake Canoes" by David Nichols. I am also looking hard at buying "Building Lapstrake Canoes" by Walter Simmons (Duck Trap Press). I would like a guide for lapstrake of the same quality as "Canoecraft" is to cedar strip

Any thoughts on these books or others?
Any thoughts and recommendations on a "wee" canoe with plans for lapstrake construction?
Anybody with hands on experience building and paddling a lapstrake canoe?
sedges

Re: Lapstrake Canoes: Reference books and getting started

Post by sedges »

I have not built in lapstrake, but read much about over the years. Walt Simmons book was the most talked about reference back in the 1980s. I would check WoodenBoat magazines website for books and plans.

One thing that I know for sure, short lapstrake hulls are the hardest to plank. If I were to wander into lapstrake I would start with a glued plywood lapstrake kit, just to see how it all goes together. Also for a child it could be very lightweight.

This come to mind.

http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/cano ... e-kit.html
HighPlainsDrifter

Post by HighPlainsDrifter »

Sedges

Thank for the reply.

I made a move toward the canoe that I will build. Today I called Walt Simmons at Duck Trap and talked to him about a 13' lapstrake canoe. I ended up buying the plans, his book, and an accompanying CD for building the 13 footer.

So now I have a lot to think about. Traditional build or glued ? I sure would like to try a traditional built lapstrake with ribs. I would prefer to build with cedar, but probably will build with marine plywood (as done with the boats from CLC).

I looked at the CLC 12' Sassafras........... 26 lbs and complete kit for $944. I think I would rather do it from scratch.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I've been pondering building a lapstrake boat for years but have never gotten to it. I've read
"How to Build Glued-Lapstrake Wooden Boats" by John Brooks. The book is very thorough and very informative but focused on sailboats (and other traditional lapstrake craft). Adopting the techinques to a canoe would be fun.

I'll be very interested in the progress of your project. Please post as you go!
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com