chestnut prospector help!!!

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Stephen

Re: chestnut prospector help!!!

Post by Stephen »

ok on page 43 of the old book on chart B station 6, row 16 it says 15 13/16-'' and the one up from that one on the 14th row it is only 5'' 13/16'' is this a misprint because it sure dont look right!

I have the 1983 Canoecraft which is almost the same except 15 13/16- is on row 18. I agree it looks fishy. The sides of the mold are almost vertical here so adjacent rows should be almost the same. I've never lofted this boat but I think 15 13/16- should read 5 13/16-.
my only question now is the bow and stern seem VARY narrow??? i have about 23in (from the 7th mold to the stem mold) that is Really narrow and it seems a bit not right
It sounds to me like you have the stem mold butted up to station 7. Here is a link to a Prospector build. http://www.outdoorplace.org/paddling/Pr ... ector1.htm You will notice that the stem mold attaches to station 6, and that station 7 is split and mounted on the sides of the stem mold. You must also remove the thickness of the stem mold from the middle of station 7.

One thing to be aware of when plotting the stem mold is that the plotted line is for the outside surface of the INNER stem. You must deduct the thickness of the inner stem, usually 3/4", from the curved edge of the stem mold to establish the line to cut.