Champlain 16"

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Richard2

Champlain 16"

Post by Richard2 »

I just finished my Champlain 16' and launched it for its maiden trip this past weekend...!
The canoe felt tippy. I placed the stern seat closer to the middle but kept the seat height at 10.5 inches. Aside from moving the seats lower any ideas of how I can make the canoe more stable?
Patricks Dad

Re: Champlain 16"

Post by Patricks Dad »

lowering the seat will help. You can also add some weight to it. But you will also find that as you paddle it more you will become more and more accustomed to it and it won't seem as tippy. Give it some time.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

Thanks for the feedback!
sedges

Post by sedges »

A few questions.

On your first paddle in the Champlain were you paddling tandem or solo.

If solo, where did you sit/kneel?
If tandem, was it with a partner you are accustom to paddling with?

What canoe have you been paddling before you built the Champlain?
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

Tandem with my wife. We have paddled together over the years however I would say we are not very experienced. My wife sat and I kneeled mist if the time which helped. First experience in anything remotely like the Champlain. By the way people kept taking pictures of the canoe - quite the experience!
sedges

Post by sedges »

A hull like the Champlain takes some getting used to. I think you will be more comfortable in it after you spend more time in it. It is not unseaworthy, just doesn't have that initial stability of a flat bottomed canoe. Relax and let it roll a bit. Its just a different feel.

Work on your paddling technique a little, too. Avoid side to side motion of your upper body like reaching or leaning toward the water. This is especially important for men as their center of gravity is high. Leaning forward is OK and can be used to put some extra power in your stroke. Just keep your upper body aligned with the keel as much as possible. Also work on timing of strokes with your partner. Bow person sets a comfortable pace, stern paddler matches that so that you are stroking at the same time. Stern paddler needs a good J or pitch stroke to keep time. If you need to do extra correction after a stroke wait until you can match the bow person stroke before starting to paddle again. Start slow work up to a faster pace.

You will be surprised how much better the canoe feels when you match your strokes.
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

Great advice! Thanks
Richard2

Post by Richard2 »

I lowered the seats by 1.5 inches. This action significantly improved the canoe's stability. Thanks