Question: Best way to transfer centre line to strips

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Question: Best way to transfer centre line to strips

Post by Kermit »

Fast approaching the dreaded centre-line trim. Having a real difficult time lining up the centreline. With a string line, I can see that the marks are lined up, but can't seem to join 3 in one go to save my life. :crying

What techniques do you find work best for you?

Cheers,

Chris
Stephen

Re: Question: Best way to transfer centre line to strips

Post by Stephen »

I found this, http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe/canoe7.htm but I have a feeling it may not help (you can click on the photos to enlarge them). I think you have to mount those reference strips on the centre-line of each station before you start planking. Judging by your photos elsewhere you don't have much elbowroom inside the canoe at the moment. As far as joining the dots all I can think of is a flexible batten and extra hands/sandbags/weights etc.

It's good to see your progress so far. We await the launch photos.

Edit: I think I have misled you as well as myself. http://www.pdxtex.com/canoe/images/smmouse-lg.jpg. I thought that the part of the marking gauge inside the canoe was like a fence permanently mounted on each station mold, and the part outside the canoe just butted up to it. When I think about it, it seems more likely that the whole thing is joined into one unit, and you just align the straight-edge part with each centre-line on the molds.
Last edited by Stephen on Thu May 29, 2014 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Mark the center on each form. Then lay a cedar strip or other straight edge you can trust along those marked points. Connect the dots.

To mark the center on each form, I use a piece of clear plexiglass about 3" wide by 12" long. Cut a notch at a slight angle on one side about 2" from one end wide enough for a strip to fit in and deep enough to reach the center point. Lay the plexiglass on the centerline on the forum (I always draw a centerline on my forms). This will put the bottom edge of the notch right on the centerline on the outside of the hull. Make a mark on the hull.

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I have a video on my YouTube channel of me cutting the centerline on a kayak which is same as a canoe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-JyJdkP53Y
I trim with a utility knife and then transfer the centerlines from the forms with a jig as described above. Then mark with long rule and cut with a pull saw. I always leave a bit of material that I can fine tune later so that second half strips come together in center to match first half.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

Great video Rod !
Enjoyed the others while I was there !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!