Filling The Voids

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Filling The Voids

Post by WMegl »

I am at the point on my Redbird of preparing the hull for fiberglassing. I am on step 2 of 4, Filling The Voids, with an epoxy, Microlite, sanding dust mixture. I have both long, narrow slits and flat, low areas where the direction of the grain caused the wood to tear away.
Can these "holes", or low areas, be filled with the repair substance effectively without creating a "spot" that will be seen under the fiberglass cloth and resin, or will they disappear?

Thanks.
First Timer
Jim Dodd

Re: Filling The Voids

Post by Jim Dodd »

Depending on the size of the holes and low areas.
Staple holes will always show, up close. 10' away, they are not noticeable, unless you have deep dents from staple guns.
Cracks, I like to fill with a darker than the wood filler. Makes it look like grain.
How about posting a picture ?

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Will do. I need to figure out how to reduce the size of my picture files. In the past, they have been rejected for being too large.

The flat. low areas are about the size of a quarter.

Thanks.
First Timer
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

For low areas the size of a quarter. If the sanding has cleaned the area up but it is just low, I would just add a little more epoxy to those areas during fill coats and then sand smooth. When filling cracks, make sure that you mask off the areas well, so that you don't spread the filler all over, as it will need to be sanded off so that there are no "blotches". They will not disappear.
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Thanks for the information. You have answered my question (fear). I didn't want the repaired areas to affect the look of the finish layer of epoxy. So far, sanding the repaired areas appears to be removing the epoxy around the repair. I will make sure my sanding continues to do so.

Thanks.
First Timer