Question about inner stem instructions in CanoeCraft

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Grumple

Question about inner stem instructions in CanoeCraft

Post by Grumple »

Hello,

I'm reading CanoeCraft (revised edition) right now while converting my garage into a workshop. I've purchased plans for the Huron Cruiser as my first project.

CanoeCraft is a great resource so far, and generally easy to understand. However, I'm really struggling to visualize one step as it is described. I know it's probably simple, but hopefully someone can help me out.

On page 114, at the end of the section titled 'gluing the stem strips', it mentions marking where the ends of the stems should be trimmed. Then it says:
Using a block plane, round off the end of the inside stem at the keel line, where it will be visible inside the boat. It looks neater this way, and the epoxy and the varnish will adhere better to the rounded edge
Does this mean I should round off all edges of the top side of the inside stem, or just the very end of it that butts up against the station mold? I'm picturing rounding all topside edges along the keel line, and rounded right down to the bottom side, with the hull planks attached to that side. Is this roughly correct?

Any details/clarification, and/or pictures would be awesome.

Thanks!
Cruiser

Re: Question about inner stem instructions in CanoeCraft

Post by Cruiser »

Not a great shot, but it is the best I have. Stems aren't really the glory shots on a canoe.

If you shape the inner stems before installing them on the form, you have total access and it's a lot easier. I just rounded the end and shaped the edges to a gentle round, almost to the end. After that it really doesn't matter as it's not seen and there is not usually fiber glassing done there.

[img][IMG]http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b49 ... d723f9.jpg[/img][/img]

Brian
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

I borrowed this photo from another member here, Ealger:
[URL=http://s12.photobucket.com/user/ea ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Thanks so much to both of you, that's exactly what I needed to see!

I have one follow-on question, related to the outside stems. (I've really found the stems to be the trickiest to visualize from instructions):

Based on the book's instructions, I'm under the impression that when installing the outside stem, I literally chisel away all hull material between it and the inside stem along the bottom. The two stem surfaces should essentially be in direct contact for their entire lengths?

If my understanding is correct, the outside stem is tapered width-wise and a bit cut off the end lengthwise so that I am guaranteed to have some of the inside stem surface stay 'under planks', and therefore not creating an expose hole through the hull?
Glen Smith

Post by Glen Smith »

That is correct. Just one note: the horizontal portion of the outer stem should be tapered from full width of 3/4" to only 3/8" where it feeds into the keel line. This taper will start approximately 10" from the keel end of the stem.
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Randy P. posted this link for me when I had the same question, it was helpful.

http://bearmountainboats.com/phpBB3/vie ... ise#p24392
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

That's perfect!

Sorry if I was asking an 'already answered' question; The search function doesn't work particularly well for 'common terms', etc.

Having said that, I've started reading through the entire forum. I'm learning every bit as much from the posts here as the book itself.

Thanks again!