fairing the hull

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

fairing the hull

Post by WMegl »

I have completed the faring of the hull by filling in defects with the resin, fairing compound, and sawdust mixture, and, final sanding. Upon closer inspection of the hull, I now am thinking that the small defects I previously deemed unnecessary to repair may in fact need to be fixed. Attached are some photos of some of these areas. I would be interested in other's opinion as to the need to fix these or will they disappear after the application of the fiberglass cloth and resin.

I have also included some pictures of the completed hull if anyone is interested.

As always, thanks.
First Timer
Jim Dodd

Re: fairing the hull

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi

We all strive for that perfect boat, I'm still striving.

Great pictures by the way !
If that was my boat, I'd use the wood putty that comes in a small can with the lid on the bottom. You know you have the right stuff, if it says it has ACETONE in it.
My preference is to use darker putty, than the surrounding wood of the gap.
I always buy Walnut . It looks more like the grain in the wood, than a filler.

Others may have differing Ideas !

Nice looking hull so far !!!

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Nice looking craft! I would fill the cracks as well. Anything that you think might be structural (maybe none of them), I'd fill with thickened epoxy. Anything that looks cosmetic, I'd fill with wood putty as Jim suggests (darker rather than lighter)...
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
WMegl

Post by WMegl »

Randy and Jim: Thanks for the replies. Wood putty it is. I will continue to strive for the perfect craft.

Again, thanks.
First Timer