Any builders near Halifax, Nova Scotia?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Grumple

Any builders near Halifax, Nova Scotia?

Post by Grumple »

I'm wondering if there is anyone with a bit of experience on here from the general Halifax area, Nova Scotia that would be willing to do a show and tell sometime?

I'm more seriously ramping up for my first build now and I thought it would be worth checking for a local community. I'd love a chance to see a finished/under construction project and poke questions.
Stein

Re: Any builders near Halifax, Nova Scotia?

Post by Stein »

Hi:

I am in Saint John NB (pretty close to you) and am building a Freedom 15" canoe. I am cutting the strips now and will bead and cove them soon. This is my first build too.

Brian
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Awesome! I'll send you a message, at the very least maybe we can compare notes as we go!

I was delayed all summer by house/yard projects, etc. I literally just planed my boards today, and will be cutting strips tomorrow. =)
Stein

Post by Stein »

Which canoe are you building. Also are you using western red cedar?
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

I'm building the Huron Cruiser, and yeah I'm using WRC along with a bit of Aspen/dark walnut tht I'm going to try to make a few accent strips from.

I just sent you a PM with more chatty details. =)
rmoffat

Post by rmoffat »

Hey Halifax & Saint John,

I'm live right between the two of you in PEI. I'm starting to build a True North 19'3" and is also my first build. I have molds already to go and just finished cutting strips from w. red cedar 4X4's, and some local eastern w.cedar boards made up of 8', 10' & 12' lengths. Laid them all out and spent the day scratching my head, what to do next, as the colouring in maybe half of them is all over there map. On a single strip, colour goes from light to brown to pink in waves. I'm sure it'll make for an interesting pattern on the boat, but being a newbie, it's challenge to sort out these strips before I add the bead & cove to strips. Debating on milling up another 4x4 in hopes of getting a few more strips with uniform colouring. If there is anyone out there, I'd welcome your input about these strips I'm working with

Looking forward to connecting and comparing notes.
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Hey rmoffat,

We Officially have the 3 maritime provinces represented! I couldn't build your canoe if I wanted to...my garage wouldn't allow for such a large boat. =)

I have the same kinds of patterns in my strips! I'd say well over half of them have a fairly light upper half transitioning to darker. I'm just going to go with it and see how things turn out. I am trying to book-match the strips though, so it should at least look similar from one side to the other...

I also found my strips often have an almost grey/silver tinge to them. I'm interested to see what that looks like wetted/under epoxy.
KenC

Post by KenC »

I wouldn't fret too much over the strip colouring ... it'll turn out gorgeous no matter how you arrange them.

I used both WRC and EWC on the deck of my kayak. At first, the contrast between them was quite obvious. 10 years later, not so much. They have somehow aged toward a more similar shading.

I have had good luck finding clear, straight-grained, dark, almost chocolate-brown, WRC in the 4x4 piles at Home Depot. I collect them whenever I see them. I've used some of it for making paddles, and it is the most uniform of any cedar I've used.