Cyanoacrylate Glue

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
brooks

Cyanoacrylate Glue

Post by brooks »

Has anyone use this type of glue. It comes in thick medium and thin. I have used it quite successfully on dry joints. The penetration is phenomenal. I'm just wondering if its been used to fill in gaps. After you sand the dust into the gaps use thin ca glue over the gaps which penetrates, bonds and solidifies the dust in the gaps. My Brother uses it extensively in building Classic Guitars. Just a thought. I would appreciate your feed back.
KenC

Re: Cyanoacrylate Glue

Post by KenC »

Interesting ... if it works somewhat invisibly on a fine guitar, then there wouldn't seem to be any aesthetic issues for a canoe/kayak ... the only thing I can think of is whether it would interfere with epoxy adhesion. That's easy to test, though.
brooks

Post by brooks »

Lacquer and polyurethane has already tested well but I have not tried 2 part epoxy. I don't see any issues. I do see how well it works in every situation. My brother builds guitar rosettes in place, dry fitting and spreading the ca glue and its done. The thin ca glue spreads like lacquer thinner into every joint and crevice and holds like epoxy. The one draw back is the price. It does darken the wood some but only as much as a finish wood do.
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

I have used CA glue for areas of kayaks that I want to glue up quickly or where clamping is almost impossible. Dries clear, can be glassed over and holds well. The bond is much more brittle than standard wood glue but with glass it is fine. A bit expensive to do a whole boat with but certainly adequate to fill gaps.
cff

Post by cff »

I switched to CA glue for scarfing my strips. It worked so well, especially around defects, knots that you have a hard time finding the joints. And it was quick.