Slight Alignment Issues with Stem

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Slight Alignment Issues with Stem

Post by Kermit »

I calved this off from my Freedom 17'9 Update post, hoping it wont get lost in the pile of photos...

Here is the issue, the stern stem shifted slightly, and now I have about a milimeter of endgrain showing on the starboard side.... :crying

What are my best options for alleviating this situation? I am thinking of either;

1) Filling with unthickened epoxy, to keep grain and just level out.
2) Filling with thinkened and tinted... to cover up.
3) Elmers natural non-solvent wood filler (closest to ash colour)

Thoughts?

Chris
Grumple

Re: Slight Alignment Issues with Stem

Post by Grumple »

Being a newbie I'm afraid I'm not much help, but out of curiosity, do you know what caused the shift?
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

:crying

Not screwing it in... really wasn't comfortable with screwing as my stem were made a tad small to begin with. Also the stern was the first time I have ever used that much two part epoxy, and I was petrified of touching/moving the parts. Got over that fast with the bow stem. :tu

Chris
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I'm not sure I see a big problem here. You ought to be able to simply take the stem down a bit further to make it fair with the hull. That will of course result in a somewhat narrower outer stem edge. If that is important or a concern to you, you can always sand the stem a bit shallower so that the desired width is restored. Unless you are planning on using a stem band with a specific width you need to support, a somewhat narrower stem edge shouldn't be a concern.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Randy,

I agree it's not a big issue, I am just trying to figure out the best way to remedy it. The stem almost 'squares' off at the planking and therefore creates a gap from being completely flush with the face of the planking. I'm looking for the best method to fill the gap.

I am planning to install a brass stem band, so I need to keep the stem face at 3/8".

Thanks a lot,

Chris
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Do you think that if you simply continued to take wood off the stem to make it fair with the hull, you would be able to make the outer stem more shallow and recover the full 3/8" wide stem face for the stemband. I have one this once before and it came out very well.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Thanks for the quick response.

Would I not also have to shave the planks to keep the stern fair? Or can I "bevel" the stem and tip of the planks to clean it up? My concern is that the stem is already "fair" to the existing planking and to remove the gap I would need to remove planking thickness as well.

Did I make sense? :thinking

Chris
KenC

Post by KenC »

If it were me, I wouldn't fill in the gap at all, I'd just carve/sand it down until the gap no longer existed. Like the bevel you describe, but without any visible bevel line.

Yes, you would be reducing the strip thickness within an inch or two of the stem, but I wouldn't worry too much about that, unless I was attempting an ultra-light build with ultra-thin strips to begin with.

It looks like you have plenty of depth on the stem to shave it back to restore your 3/8" mounting surface for the brass stem band, as Randy suggested.
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

Your original post states that you have about a millimeter of strip end exposed. Taking that much down should be no problem.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com