Amount of West System 207 hardener

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
WMegl

Amount of West System 207 hardener

Post by WMegl »

For various reasons, I have used up more of my 207 hardener. It may have to do with the fact that I was having trouble with the pump initially and may have used some up trying to get the pump to prime.
I have applied the cloth and resin to the outside of the hull- I have the inside to do.
I only have about 3/4 of the second can of class B hardner left. The 105 class B can is almost full.
Do you think 3/4 of the can of hardener is enough for the inside? I am using 4 lb. cloth and will follow Ted's suggestion of applying 2 coats.

Thanks.
First Timer
Rod Tait

Re: Amount of West System 207 hardener

Post by Rod Tait »

You should be fine. If you need more hardener you can purchase the "A" size of 207. Pumps will fit the small can as well. When you say two coats, I assume you mean only two coats of epoxy (not glass) and not fill the weave entirely.

I always seem to end up with more of one or the other as I go through the larger sizes and use other hardeners.
WMegl

Re: Amount of West System 207 hardener

Post by WMegl »

Rod: Yes, by 2 coats I mean one coat to saturate the fiberglass cloth, and one additional, final coat. On the outside, I applied 3: one to saturate the cloth, the second to fill the weave, and the third to provide a smooth finish.

Thanks for your reply.
First Timer