Tahitian V 3

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
jpscheib@hotmail.com

Tahitian V 3

Post by jpscheib@hotmail.com »

I am thinking about building a Outrigger canoe, a Tahitian V-3 These are three person outrigger canoes that are 10 m long and 1/2 meter wide. They are used in the ocean. I want to strip build but I am not sure what the lay up schedule should be. How thick should the strips be and what weight glass and how may layers. Are the Bear Mountain C 15 of similar size? What are their lay ups like ? Does anybody have any advice ?
sedges

Re: Tahitian V 3

Post by sedges »

At 10 meters this hull could definitely use a thicker strip to get a stiff hull at that length. If this is a launch off the beach/open ocean boat it is going to have to have a seriously strong layup. The top of the canoe has very serious stresses where the outriggers are attached. I would take a good look at the fiberglass/kevlar foam core models that are out to plan lay up schedule.

The C15 never sees the type of torsional stresses that an outrigger canoe sees on the ocean or in the surf.
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

I'd probably consult the designer, but using S-glass would give a little more strength and stiffness, without extra weight, or too much extra cost.
I've never built one, so take my advise for what it's worth !
Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
jpscheib@hotmail.com

Post by jpscheib@hotmail.com »

Although these boats are long they are skinny The waterline beam is probably less than 12 inches Thought of using a layer of carbon on the inside and maybe using balsa as the stripping wood if I can get it. Would like to keep the weight under a 100 lbs