Kayak kingplank

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
digger

Kayak kingplank

Post by digger »

I'm building the Resolute kayak. Various diagrams and pictures in Kayakcraft depict the kingplank extending to the bow and the coverboards meeting the kingplank. Other pictures show the opposite. I believe it makes sense to have the cover boards meet at the bow and have the kingplank intersect at the cover board miter. Any thoughts on which method is preferred?

Also, the book does not address the edge condition of the kingplank. I intend to plank from the center out so does that mean I should make a kingplank with a cove on each face so that the planking mates correctly?

With the Resolute design, what max width kingplank would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Blair
Rod Tait

Re: Kayak kingplank

Post by Rod Tait »

I like the look of the first few strips along the sheer, mitered at the ends and then center strips running into those at the ends. For the first strips down the center, I have bead facing out on both, so that as I push additional strips into place, I don't push on the cove and damage it.
digger

Post by digger »

Rod,

Thanks for the input. I like your idea of the first few planks following the sheer line. Regarding the center planks, facing the bead outward makes sense. Do you square cut the first plank to the center plank? In other words, not bead/cove?
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Yes. Just bevel the edges of one as necessary. No bead and cove.