Getting Ready to Glass - Keel Questions

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Kermit

Getting Ready to Glass - Keel Questions

Post by Kermit »

I received my keel and notice that the supplied instructions are very different from those in Canoecraft. As opposed to shaping the keel to a 3/8" taper, the supplied instructions state to keep the keel at 1", and round off the corners. Another difference shows that the keel is installed after glassing (both sides I assume).

My question is:

Has anyone installed a keel with the cup washers, and how does it look? Can't find photos anywhere. (Which kind of tells me no one has done this....)

I'm kinda waffling on the whole keel installation now. :crying

Ideas?

Chris
Rod Tait

Re: Getting Ready to Glass - Keel Questions

Post by Rod Tait »

The keel would be tapered to 3/8 if you plan to run brass strip full length. Round over if not so that less prone to damage of sharp edges. Do you plan to glue the keel on with epoxy? The screws can be used as temporary "clamps" to hold the keel in place while epoxy sets or hold the keel on permanently with cup finishing washer, which is more traditional ways for keels to be attached on older canvas canoes, if no glue or both. I would put keel on after glassing inside and out. Does keel run into outer stem or taper to nothing at the ends? If tapered then brass on ends runs up onto it to cover feathered edges. If joining into proud standing outer stem, then brass can run full length.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Thanks Rod,

The keel will taper on top of the outer stems, I was curious as to how to make the brass stem band flow onto the keel. I should probably end it at the end of the 16" taper (if possible).

Should I wax the brass screws if I intend to keep them? In case I need to replace the keel at some point.

Thanks,

Chris
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Are the screws that you have to hold on the keel brass or bronze? I would shy away from brass as they are too soft and will likely break as you tighten them into the hardwood keel through the inside of the hull. Probably looking at a #8 silicone bronze screw at least 3/4" to pull keel to hull. Should be no need to wax them - they should come out later, but do so if you are concerned.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

The are whatever was supplied with my keel from BMB... so I would assume the proper type. :wink

Thanks again for the help.

Chris
Rod Tait

Post by Rod Tait »

Brass will be shiny yellow, bronze will be more of a dark copper colour. The cup washer will likely be brass as they don't make them (or are very hard to find) in bronze. In reviewing the material listed on BMB boats store, it looks like they should be bronze.