Hiding top of inner stem?

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
Grumple

Hiding top of inner stem?

Post by Grumple »

Hello,

I'm wondering what everyone does with the top of the inner stem with their canoes?

I didn't see this covered in CanoeCraft, and I've done a search through the forum without much luck. In fact the demo canoe being built in the book doesn't seem to cover it, with the forward tip of the deck just butting up against it.

I did see a few posts referring to the stem band wrapping up around the top of the stem and extending onto the deck, which would work. However, I don't plan to use a stem band.

I've seen many pictures of finished canoes with the deck covering everything right to the tip of the canoe, but in these cases it seems a bit raised to do this. Is it just a veneer, or is the entire deck built with a wider top section that sits on the gunwales? :thinking
Patricks Dad

Re: Hiding top of inner stem?

Post by Patricks Dad »

There is no requirement to cover the end of your inner stem. Just make sure it is sealed well.

Also, there is no requirement that you leave it uncovered. I have done it both ways....
Below is an example where the gunwales are notched to cover the inner stem (which was shortened about 1/4").

Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Grumple

Post by Grumple »

Thanks for the explanations!

I really like your 'covered up' example, I think I'd like to try something similar.

In that example, is that what I've seen referred to as a 'uni-wale'? =)

It looks like you removed 1/4" from both the inner and outer stem in that example? Were the stems shortened from the get-go, such that the last strips at the shear line were slightly overhanging at the end of the stem?
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

That is indeed the "uni-wale" from another thread I started on this forum.

I cut the stems down after stripping the canoe to make room for the uni-wale (I didn't have enough foresight to cut them the right length before I stripped - and wouldn't try it in general)...

Cutting the stem down a bit was easy and any gap between the stem and the Uni-wale will be hidden so it doesn't have to be a good fit - thickened epoxy used to install the Uni-wale will fill in any gaps and be completely invisible from the outside.
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com