Raptor Staples

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
sgseward

Raptor Staples

Post by sgseward »

I'm a new member and a new builder! I just received everything for my Ranger from Bear Mountain and I'm the process of getting my shop setup to begin the build. I stumbled on another website that touts the positives of using the composite staples from Raptor. All of the points made sense to me, though I can't figure out how you would get the hull off of the molds!

Has anybody used these? I have several staple guns, but I want to purchase a nicer one before starting to drive staples into my planks and I would consider the composite staples. Just wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience and recommendations.

Since I haven't even started my strongback I still have plenty of time!

Steve
Jim Dodd

Re: Raptor Staples

Post by Jim Dodd »

Hi Steve

Welcome aboard !

I considered the Raptor staples, you would need two staplers, one for on the forms,( the longer stables) and one for stapling strips together between the forms, 1/4" long staples.
That makes it pretty expensive.

I like the idea of just sanding the staples and having the holes filled. But I too am concerned about getting the hull off the forms without any damage to the inside of the hull, or the forms.

Dennis from Northwest canoe in St Paul Minnesota sells them, and says they work great.

I'll stick with my old Stanleys, that I've modified so the stapler doesn't dent the hull.

Good luck !

Jim
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
sgseward

Post by sgseward »

Thanks for the reply Jim. After seeing pictures of some beautiful Rangers built with staples on the forums, I'm leaning towards going with standard ones. I actually like the look when they are lined up nicely. I'm going to invest in one the nice duo-fast units with adjustable tension. I want to take my time and get the tension right and use tape offsets to make sure not to dent the wood!
Woodchuck

Post by Woodchuck »

Hi Jim...
I would not use any staples. Why put a couple of thousand holes in a beautiful hull? Use
Titebond 3 glue and it will be just fine...
You can check out my site for the Nomad... [url]nomad17.home.comcast.net[url]

CYA, Joe
Joe "Woodchuck" Gledhill
Garden City, MI
Patricks Dad

Post by Patricks Dad »

I don't use staples either. And what type of glue you use is unrelated to the staple or not question (other than set-up time of course - which I'm sure is what Joe was referencing).
Randy Pfeifer
(847) 341-0618
Randy.Pfeifer1@gmail.com
Cruiser

Post by Cruiser »

Since you are planning on taking your time, why not consider going without staples. It does take a bit longer for the stripping part, but in the context of the entire build time required, I would suggest that it is a minor amount of extra time. In fact, when you factor in pulling all the staples, I suspect the build times are not that much different.

That would save you the bother of buying that new stapler, and increase your satisfaction when you complete the build.

Just my thoughts.

Brian
Jim Dodd

Post by Jim Dodd »

To Staple ? Or Not to Staple ! Though that was not the question. :wink

I have to agree without staples is prettier !

I staple for two reasons Even with pulling staples, I believe it's faster. I also feel the strips stay true to the forms better, especially on a more radical design. Both of my reasons are debatable though.

I'm wanting to try Titebond III, guess I'll have to build another canoe :tu
Keep your paddle wet and your seat dry!
KenC

Post by KenC »

I prefer staple-less methods, but as Jim alluded to, I have had occasions where some of the completed strips lifted off the forms a bit. No method is perfect.

I've used Titebond III for building laminated kayak paddles, but I'd never use it for stripping. Its twice the price of regular Titebond, and waterproof glue is unnecessary for the strips, which should never (unless you puncture the hull) be exposed to moisture.
Kermit

Post by Kermit »

Take what I have to say with a BIG grain of Salt,

I went staple-less, and am quite happy with the results. There are a few areas where I had the Dickens of a time getting the strips to comply with my wishes, but I am married with two kids, so I am kind of used to that. :sad

I will say that once I smartened up and switched over to clamping on every form AND ratchet clamps on every other form, my life was SIGNIFICANTLY easier, although, they still don't help with the wife and kids. :wink

Cheers,

Chris
Snowman

Post by Snowman »

Since the comments have drifted away from the Raptor Staple question, here is my experience on staples...

I went with staples on my first boat and found that like Kermit, I was lacking authority (on the strips too). I ended up switching half way through the build (at the turn of the bilge - the strips were hard to transition from vertical to horizontal near the stem). I switched then and have never went back...

Find what works for you and have fun!

Snowman
Snowman back East