Pale Sections Under Molds

Welcome to the new Bear Mountain Builders Forum - an interactive internet service we provide to encourage communication between canoe and kayak builders
peas

Pale Sections Under Molds

Post by peas »

Hi folks. I'm hoping to get some help with my next problem. I finally glassed the outside of my canoe, flipped it over, and removed the molds only to find that there are pale sections under each of the molds.

I am mostly building my canoe according to instructions from the Moores book, with a staple free method, so I have 1/2" plywood molds covered with packing tape. I had an issue earlier where the previously laid strips were pulling away from the molds. I suspect that it was because I was applying too much pressure to each new strip as I laid it. To get the canoe back to the molds, I applied hot glue (at the lowest heat setting), along the edge of each mold.

Scraping and sanding has removed much of the discolouration, but sanding and scraping is having less effect now. At first you could feel an indentation under each mold, but as I scrape and sand there is not much difference anymore, and the pale sections persist. I have also tried wetting the strips a number of times with the hopes that the wood that has been compressed under the molds will swell back into it's previous form and colour.

Any thoughts?
IMG_0628.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rod Tait

Re: Pale Sections Under Molds

Post by Rod Tait »

Due to heat and oxidation. You will just have to scrape and sand some more and it will go away.